- Efficient, clean writer with experience in covering breaking and daily news and producing long-term projects with depth and accuracy; ambitious and creative in thinking of and pursuing self-produced story ideas.
- Collaborative worker and team player, with outstanding communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Careful editor, with clear vision for the big picture of a finished project.
- Social media user with Twitter, WordPress, Facebook and Tumblr. Knowledge of HTML and basic web design.
- Proficient in Adobe inDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Audition, iMovie and SLR manual photography. Has worked with mutliple CMS systems. Comfortable with Dalet and Klotz digital studio equipment.
WGBH Radio Newsroom Production Assistant: Feb. 2014-present
- Serves as production assistant for WGBH’s Higher Education Reporting desk, On Campus. An initiative that produces radio stories that have aired locally, nationally and internationally
- Assists in the pitching, reporting, writing and production of feature-length radio packages that have aired on WGBH’s local air, NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered, APM’s Marketplace and PRI’s Innovation Hub
- Books, pre-interviews, produces and cuts two-way interviews for air and online
- Manages Facebook and Twitter social media accounts
Collegiate Times News Editor: Aug. 2012-May 2013
- Managed news staff of about 15 reporters for student newspaper with daily circulation of 10,000 and a weekly online readership of 37,000
- Personally edited and managed, from conception to finish, two stories that earned Story of the Year nominations from the Associated Collegiate Press
- Planned and edited daily content for print and web
- Established blog and Twitter presence of news section
WAMU News Assistant: Jan. 2012-May 2012
- Served as a producer for the number one drive-time radio show in the Washington D.C. metro area
- Stacked newscasts, edited scripts, researched stories and conducted in-studio interviews
- Created daily list of story ideas and assignments, constantly monitoring daily news
Congressional Reporter Intern: Jan. 2012 -May 2012
- Assisted Freelance Public Radio reporter Matt Laslo
- Collected sound bites from congressmen
- Wrote stories for use in public radio stations nation-wide
WVTF News Intern: Aug. 2011-Dec. 2011
- Proposed story ideas, wrote stories, collected sound bites and conducted interviews for Virginia Public Radio
- Updated and edited website to reflect news content
Collegiate Times Reporter & Photographer: Oct. 2010-May 2012
- Wrote news stories, covered breaking news, focused on political news
- Outstanding Senior in Journalism, Virginia Tech, 2013
- Best News Series, 1st place, Virginia Associated Press, 2012 & 2013
- Multimedia Story of the Year, 2nd place, Associated Collegiate Press, 2012
- Best Multimedia Series, 2nd place, College Media Association’s Apple Awards, 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Worked for eight summers at a rock-climbing camp, the past three years as a Director. Was responsible for 70 kids, 30 staff and writing curriculum.
- Worked throughout college as a writing tutor for both ESL students and native-english speakers. Worked in one-on-one sessions.
- Worked on an organic dairy farm in Normandy, France.
- Conducted coding research on political advertising.
- Volunteered as an English teacher in Thailand.
- Studied abroad in Switzerland, completing coursework in magazine and travel writing.
Graduated dual-degree with a B.A. in Communication: Electronic and Print Journalism and a B.A. in Political Science from Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA. Graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.9/4.0)
“Mallory Noe-Payne does not disappoint…ever… She excelled in the fast-paced, deadline-driven, tough environment and never looked back… Mallory is a quick learner, an excellent communicator and a talented writer. Moreover, Mallory is not discouraged by the demands of Senior Editors. She is not a quitter. If she was ever overwhelmed, she never showed it. She has an intuitive knack for the news.”
– Meymo Lyons, WAMU Managing Editor News
” Mallory has all the attributes necessary for a journalist or researcher in today’s environment – she works quickly and accurately on deadline, she begs for feedback and opportunities for learning, has excellent communication skills, and has an insatiable thirst for knowledge. Mallory would be a great addition to your team.”
– Carrie Cousins, Collegiate Times Advisor
“Mallory never had to be asked to stay late in a breaking news situation… I’d immediately direct her to go home, but she refused – until she knew the final on-air product was in the can and ready to go. We suffered a great loss when she moved out of the city.”
– Sharon Rae Pettigrew, WAMU Senior News Editor
Full text references are available upon request. Please send an email to email@example.com